Thursday, July 5, 2012

Skellig by David Almond



Publisher- Hodder Children's Books
Publication Date- August 11, 1998
Pages- 176
Awards- 1998 Carnegie Medal, Whitbread Children's Book Of The Year Award, 2000 Micael L. Printz Honor, Selected as one of the ten most important children's novels of the past 70 years in 2007.

Michael’s family has just moved to an old house that is falling apart. The whole family is worried that the new baby will die because it was born prematurely and it has a heart condition. One day Michael goes into the decaying garage and discovers a strange man. He assumes he is homeless, and brings him food and asprin for his arthritis. But then Michael brings his friend Mina to meet the man, and together they bring him into the light, and their lives change forever.

This book has been sitting on my shelf for years. I bought it in a local bookshop after someone told me it was good, that was in about 7th grade. So I decided to pick it up on Sunday, because I am falling behind on my 50 book challenge, and this book is only about 200 pages. I finished it in one day. The story was unlike anything I had imagined. It was wonderful and beautiful. It seems that I never have any words to describe the best books I just recommend that everyone reads this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment