Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Publisher- Charles Scribner's Sons
Publication Date- April 10, 1925
Pages- 218
Awards- "Best English-language Novel of the 20th Century" by The Modern Library


After the war, the mysterious Jay Gatsby, a self-made millionaire pursues wealth, riches and the lady he lost to another man with stoic determination. When Gatsby finally does reunite with Daisy Buchanan, tragic events are set in motion. Told through the eyes of his detached and omnipresent neighbour and friend, Nick Carraway, Fitzgerald's succinct and powerful prose hints at the destruction and tragedy that awaits. (From Goodreads)



I didn't have extremely high expectations going into this book to be completely honest. I got it at a bookstore sale for £2 when in England for vacation(pretty much just because the movie trailer looked good). The first chapter was a bit boring, quite honestly, because there was no Gatsby in it. But once we did meet him, it progressively got better. I was confused at a few parts (the author often implied things that I didn’t get until they were “spelled out” for me). I wasn’t too fond of the characters (except Gatsby), but the plot was a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of the modern “realistic fiction” you see today. It was believable and wasn’t overdone. I didn’t feel like the author threw in things just for the heck of it, like so many others seem to do.
I have never really been a big fan of classics, maybe because I am usually forced to read them for school, but overall I really enjoyed this book (maybe because I didn’t have to read it for school).

My Rating- 4.5/5 stars

I will not be rating this on Goodreads because I feel that it is a solid 4.5. Above a 4, but not quite a 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment