Friday, July 13, 2012

The Future Of Us- Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler

Publisher- Razorbill
Publication Date- November 21, 2011
Pages- 356

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.(From Goodreads)


     I got this book for €6 when I was on vacation in Ireland at a discount bookstore. I had been wanting to read it, but it wasn't at the top of my list.
     First off: I loved 13 Reasons Why, so I had really high expectations for this. (I have never read anything else by Carolyn Mackler.)
     I thought that the plot was overall very good. It mixes contemporary romance and a strange type of time travel. Josh and Emma realize that their actions in the present impact their futures so the majority of the book is them trying to change (or not change) their futures. "A tiny ripple in the present can cause a typhoon in the future." 
     The characters were fine at first. But once they discovered they could change the future, they got selfish. One of them wanted to change their future, and the other wanted to keep it exactly the same. It got aggravating that they were trying to prevent each other from doing things, which they really shouldn't have. 
     In the end, I was expecting an epilogue, bit I didn't get one. I really thought it needed one, as it left many questions I had unanswered. 
     Overall, I liked it. It was at no point confusing, as some "time-travel" books can be.


My Rating: 4/5 stars. I didn't have any major problems with anything, except the characters.  


The next book I will be reading is The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

No comments:

Post a Comment