Monday, September 10, 2012

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Publisher- Walker Books for Young Readers
Publication Date- December 28, 2008
Pages- 359

A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. 

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.


Wow. I adored this book. I usually hate the typical "good girl likes bad boy" story. Yes, this book was a bit cliché, but for some reason I really enjoyed it. 

The characters were pretty realistic. Alex is the typical bad boy you'd expect. He's in a gang, but he diesn't exactly want to be. He does it for his own good. He's a good bad guy, if that makes sense. And Brittany has some problems with her home life. Her sister has cerebral palsy and her mother expects her to be perfect, to make up for her sister's disability. 

The plot was, as I said before, cliché, but really good. They start out hating each other because they're paired up for chemistry, but then they end up liking each other. 

I flew through this book in two days. I think I read 20% on Saturday, and I was sick yesterday (as I am today) so I just read all day. I finished it last night at around 9. I am really glad that I had a light read after reading some heavier book lately.

My Rating:
Read it, guys. Just read it. 

I am going to try to get Rules of Attraction very soon. So either that or The Book Thief will be my next review.


No comments:

Post a Comment