Sunday, August 26, 2012

GRUM! by Robyn Hill

Publisher- Amazon Kindle
Publication Date- June 10, 2011
Pages- 86 (Kindle Edition)

Grum is a chapter book for grades 3-6. It is a story of two girls who discover magical bubble gum. The gum takes them on a series of magical and hilarious mishaps, such as sleeping with slugs, a magic pizzaria in the middle of the desert, a troll who needs help fixing his bridge. Children love this book. One reader commented about her favorite part of this book, "It is as adventurous as "Coraline", as delicious as "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", and funnier than "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" Enjoy!

First off, I would like to thank the author for giving me the opportunity to review this book!

This is the first middle-grade book I have read in a while. It was a little hard for me to adjust to, because I normally read YA and Adult books.
To start, this book gets right to the adventure. It doesn't go into the entire life story of the main character, Carol,  right at the beginning, you gradually find out throughout the whole story, which I really liked.  As for the seconadary characters, Jordan and Mr. Dooley, we don't find out much about them, which was okay in this case, as it was a plot driven book. Although, the characters seemed a little older than they were. They said and thought things that I don't think kids their age would actually be thinking.

As I said before, the story is very fast paced. It is very funny and I really wanted to keep reading to find out how they would solve their problem. This book also has very good morals and messages throughout, which are very nice to see, as it is directed toward a younger audience.

My Rating:
Again, thank you to Robyn Hill for giving me the opportunity to review this book!

The next book I will be reviewing is either The Princess Bride or Delirium. Also, I start school tomorrow so things will probably be slower. (I know, can it get any slower‽) (BTW: that's an interrobang, perhaps the most under appreciated punctuation mark.)

No comments:

Post a Comment