Friday, July 10, 2015

Creepy Review Mash-Up | The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma and Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma

On the outside, there's Violet, an eighteen-year-old dancer days away from the life of her dreams when something threatens to expose the shocking truth of her achievement.

On the inside, within the walls of the Aurora Hills juvenile detention center, there's Amber, locked up for so long she can't imagine freedom.


Tying their two worlds together is Orianna, who holds the key to unlocking all the girls' darkest mysteries…


What really happened on the night Orianna stepped between Violet and her tormentors? What really happened on two strange nights at Aurora Hills? Will Amber and Violet and Orianna ever get the justice they deserve—in this life or in another one?


In prose that sings from line to line, Nova Ren Suma tells a supernatural tale of guilt and of innocence, and of what happens when one is mistaken for the other. 



This was quite a creepy read. I had no idea what to expect going into this book and I still didn't have any idea what was going on until about halfway into it. Everything about this book was just "pretty good". I didn't connect to the characters at all, really, which took away from my enjoyment of this quite a bit. I was a bit bored at the beginning, not to the point where I had to force myself to keep reading, but I kept reading because I didn't really have anything else to do. I was like "I guess I'll keep reading. Why not."

3/5 stars


Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.'

Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss.


These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll.


Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there...


To start off, I really loved the concept of this story. I had heard about it from Ariel Bissett and seen it at Barnes and Noble a few times, but I'm always hesitant when it comes to buying graphic novel type books because, well, they're expensive. So I was delighted to see that my library had one on hand.

Each story was completely unique except they all contained one similarity, woods. The woods played a part in every story (as far as I remember) which served to add to the creepiness factor. I definitely liked some stories more than others, I think A Lady's Hands are Cold was my favorite, but I enjoyed them all to a certain extent. If you're looking for a quick, yet creepy read, then you should definitely pick this up.

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment